Monday, May 25, 2009

Religion is like a Football Team

I support Chelsea and my Mecca is Stamford Bridge. I made my pilgrimage when I lived in London and it was the site of much adoration.

Each week, all over the world, people go to these sites and chant, sing, stand up, sit down, praise and denouce as a group. After the 'ceremony' they will discuss the events of the day and what needs to be done to make things better for their chosen idols.

When confronted with a member of another faction, who believes they follow the correct team, they will argue and fight and quote and bicker. Each has several reasons for believeing why THEY are correct and
the other is wrong. Any negative point brought up by the opponant, is discounted, disregarded and ignored.

When something goes wrong with their team, it is someone elses fault, when it goes right it is because they are the best.

All of the above statements can be applied to Football or Religion.

BUT

Few wars are started over Football
No laws are passed to support the views of the most popular team
People are not tortured because of Football

I support Chelsea. I know it is only a game. I don't live my life by it. Pity the same is not true of Religion.


www.twitter.com/ohyouthinkso



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment