Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Funny One-Liners


Yesterday I read what the funniest one liner from the Edinburgh fringe festival was. It was this.

"I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again."

Not too bad. But not great either. Not really my kind of joke. They also voted for the worst one liner. It was this.

"Why did the chicken commit suicide? To get to the other side."

The worst? That was FAR better! That is a great joke. Now maybe this says more about me than the competition or the entries themselves. Maybe it says I am a depressed individual or a sadist who likes to see other people (chickens?) suffer needlessly. But I think it was great.

It got me thinking though, I could write a better one liner than that.

So I started thinking.

And I thought.

And thought.

And I can't.

Not a single one liner came to me. Nothing. I was depressed. I was miserable. I even started to doubt myself and question my own identity. It was a bad few minutes.

But then I had a coffee and everything was good in the world again. Now if I was any good I would be able to finish this blog entry with a spot on one liner.

But nope. I can't think of them on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment